Location: 10 kilometers from Mapusa, near the Anjuna beach, North Goa
Highlights: Lends a very wonderful and mystical feel to the
beach while providing a spectacular view of the sea.
How to Reach: Chapora fort can be easily reached by hiring local
transport from Mapusa or even Panaji, which is 18 kilometers away from
Located on the Anjuna beach in Goa, the Chapora fort is one of the most
popular tourist attractions of India. This massive fort is built out of
red laterite stones and was constructed first by the ruler of Bijapur,
Adil Shah. This is one reason why it has been named Shahpura, which
means the 'town of Shah'. The Chapora fort is located at a distance of
around 10 kilometers from Mapusa and can be reached by hiring a taxi or
an auto from Mapusa. One can also take buses from Panaji that ply to
Chapora fort on a regular basis.
The Chapora fort was built essentially to keep watch on numerous Hindu
raiders and plunderers who came to establish their territory through
Goa. The fort was destroyed after the rule of Adil Shah and was rebuilt
by the Portuguese around 1617 when they made Goa their colony. The
Portuguese also deserted the fort around 1892. During the Portugal rule,
the fort was built in a grand style and also had underground tunnels to
aid in escaping in case of an emergency. After the Portuguese left, the
fort was abandoned and never occupied again.
Today, though mostly in ruins the fort gives a spectacular view of the
Vagator and the Anjuna beach. Many people who come to the beaches visit
the Chapora fort just to feel that mystical air and view the sea from
the ramparts of the fort. The walls are still strong and have withstood
the lashes of time for many years. The Chapora fort is a very popular
tourist attraction of Goa and many tourists don't go back without
visiting the Chapora fort at least once.