Location: Terekhol River, North Goa
Highlights: Heritage hotel in one part of the fort, Church of
How to Reach: Terekhol fort can be reached easily by hiring a
taxi or an auto from any place in the north of Goa.
The Terekhol fort is located in the northern tip of Goa. It is situated
on the mouth of the Terekhol River and was built by the ruler of
Sawantwadi, Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle. The Terekhol fort of Goa was
built during the 17th century. The Terekhol fort was given legal
recognition as a part of Goa around 1788. The fort was rebuilt in 1764
by the Portuguese viceroy in India named Dom Pedro Miguel de Almeida.
The Terekhol fort is often visited by tourists who come here to enjoy
the peaceful surroundings and scenic locales.
During the year 1825, the Terekhol fort was used as a military base for
an attack on the Portuguese by Dr. Bernado Peres Da Silva. He was the
first viceroy who was born in Goa itself. However his efforts were
futile and the Portuguese took over the Terekhol Fort again. The fort
was abandoned however, once the Portuguese left. The fort is now in
ruins though a part of it has been converted into a heritage hotel.
The fort also houses a church inside its premises which is known as the
St. Anthony church. The church is usually not open for public to visit.
However, during certain occasions like its annual feast, the church is
open for the public as well. The annual feast of the St. Anthony church
takes place during the month of May. The Terekhol fort stands strong
till date and makes an interesting testimony of history.