Location: Atop the Holy hill in Old Goa
Highlights: Ancient ruins, 46 meter high tower
How to Reach: You can easily reach the St. Augustine church by
hiring local transport like taxis, autos and buses from just about
anywhere in Goa.
The ruins of St. Augustine church is a very popular tourist attraction
and one of the most spectacular monuments in Goa. The church was built
in 1602 with the combined efforts of 12 Augustinians. They also built a
convent besides the church. However, the Portuguese government in India
put a ban on them and they abandoned the church and the convent. The
Saint Augustine church was considered to be one of the greatest of three
Augustinian churches. Now, only the ruins of the front portion of the
church and magnificent tower remain.
The tower in the ruins of St. Augustine church is the main attraction.
This huge tower reaches upto a staggering height of around 46 meters. It
had four stories and was originally meant to be a belfry. The church had
a giant bell that was removed and is now at the Church of our Lady of
the Immaculate Conception located in Panaji. The church had eight
beautifully adorned chapels and four decorated altars. There was also a
convent attached to the church.
Around the year 1931, the church began to fall apart and the façade
and half of the tower were lost. Thereafter, the church began to
deteriorate rapidly and many parts fell off. The whole body of the
church finally gave way due to neglect and natural forces. The portico
and the tower are still present and look absolutely splendid despite
being in ruins. The ruins of St. Augustine are visited by many tourists
from all over the world, which was once the largest church in Goa.